Thursday, November 19, 2009

Gen 28:10-22 (Jacob's Vow at Bethel)

This falls in the time when Jacob was on his way towards Haran and as the sun had set, he found himself a resting ground and as he slept, he dreamt of God in the heavens with the angels singing and dancing before him.
That's when God had revealed and promised Jacob things similar to what He had promised Abraham in his days as quoted in v13-15: "And behold, the LORD stood above it and said: "I am the LORD God of Ahraham your father and the God of Issac; the land on which you lie I will give to you and your descendents. "Also your descendants shall be as the dust of the earth; you shall spread abroad to the west and the east, to the north and the south; and in you and in your seed all the families of the earth shall be blessed. "Behold, I am with you and will keep you wherever you go, and will bring you back to this land; for I will not leave you until I have done what I have spoken to you."
As Jacob woke up after that dream (which he found it too amazing to be true still), he anointed, dedicated the place to God and proclaimed God as his LORD God (v21).

I was just writing this summary of that portion of the book.. I won't say it's really random but I was feeling down quite a few minutes ago and God just pointed me to this passage. Pretty cool, coz' from the dream God had given Jacob, from Jacob's point of view it might had been big and had probably questioned himself if it could really be done. People around him had done so but there were still doubts in his heart if it could really be accomplished.
I think I'm quite like Jacob in this case where I think some dreams are a bit too big to accomplish and with the setbacks around, I tend to think if it was the right route for me though He had blessed it for me. Otherwise I will be thinking if I'm the right person for the right job coz' there hasn't been any remarkable results for myself and I seem to be dragging the other people down. Surely if it's from God things should had been more progressive than this right?
(P.S. the above are the thoughts I had, they do not composite to anything more than thoughts)

Then as I was typing, God revealed the word 'time' to me. Time is an indication, a measurement for us to guage in terms of us doing things, or waiting for a matter of fact. As quoted from http://dictionary.reference.com, time (noun) refers to the following:
  • duration regarded as belonging to the present life as distinct from the life to come or from eternity; finite duration.
  • a particular period considered as distinct from other periods
Time is finite, means it is measurable. And from the time someome promises us something to the time the promise is fulfilled, it is considered a period. And usually during this period there are processes involved in having that promise fulfilled, with external factors involved as well. So I sort of got this revelation that feeling down, getting anxious etc are all part of this process in this period of time. They don't mean the end!
It just means to continue walking, walking, and walking, doing what is necessary until the time the promise is fulfilled. Similarly to Jacob again, it took a period of time before the promise was fulfilled for him and who said that walking with God is like a bed of roses? Haha!
But the key point I'm getting is continue to rely on God no matter how good or bad things are, coz in the point of dedication of ourselves to God, it means we are willing to consecrate ourselves to God and believing for the promise He had given us to come through.

Amen~~

Oh man i sounded like i was preaching.. back to work.. haha.. *hope it's not considered too random for someone, haha*

No comments: