Thursday, January 21, 2010

recalling the dream...

suddenly i remembered about my dream and i'd blogged about it 1 yr ago, so for my own sake, just tot of posting that blog again... as follows:


Whenever you wake up, ever asked yourself how you want this day to be shaped? What do you want to achieve in this day itself? What dreams will I have today?


Haha I've always been thinking how life will have been if I'm without dreams and goals, without something to look forward to everyday. Perhaps dry, without a direction so will be at a loss as to what to do at times?
Thank God really that there are always things I want to go for, everyday. That He had given me dreams, talents and exposing me to areas where i can use my skill to benefit others.

So what is this dream I'm talking about? To be involved in social work, helping the less fortunate especially families to re-build their homes and to give the young a better future. Making a difference in their lives as well.

Since young I had always been associated to be self centered and basically, I don't know how to share. If my brother needs anything I won't relent and what is mine will be mine. Selfish? Yup absolutely.


After graduation from secondary school and into polytechnic, I was being exposed real-time to what we call voluntary work or community services. A group of 5 of us set up a club called NP Soleil which aims at helping the residents of Red Cross Home for the Disabled under Singapore Red Cross Association. What we did was to organise monthly visits to the Home, with many different activities related to festive seasons etc.
I still remember one of the bigger projects we had was to bring the residents out in SBS buses to Orchard Road during Christmas to view the lightings and all. Absolute wow with what we could do and I could always remember the smiles on the faces of the residents back then. The students and lecturers themselves too had the fun and through this I found the joy to help people with needs to be met.


Anyway time in NP was short but was experiential. Thank God for the oppurtunity to be helping out in volunteer work out of school and that's when I got to know CHCSA and Vic aka my CGL is one of the social workers there. So can imagine the number of activities I could be involved in, even till this day!! =)



Being there, exposed to me to greater areas of serving and the projects can be so diverse, from painting one-room flats to workshops at schools, to camps and projects aim at changing lives through books etc. And groups that I had came across with range from ex-inmates, youths, elderlys and families in need.



It is through all these that I realise I want to reach out to these groups of people to make a positive difference in their lives. God has also through all these events, taught me that people are the key, not the SOPs or the technical items of the event. Just like how a country values its people as the main resource.
That is also why right now I'm planning to take up Psychology degree with UB in SIM in August and so far I had people affirming that I'm actually on the right track so thank God for this. =)

I'm very excited about realising this dream of mine and as long as people is my passion and with God in it, I'll have a great future ahead! This also came by through ushering in church and event management in my current job that I can be equipped better for the future too! Amen to that!
Found it funny but I ever thought of setting up a business, a social enterprise to help me realise that dream and event management can be the thing! :P

So what is your dream?



No dream is ever too small. Dare to dream BIG!



No comments: